Saturday, July 31, 2010

David Chung wins prestigious Porter Cup in NY over a top field

Niagara Falls Gazette Photo

Stanford's junior All-American David Chung wins the prestigious Porter Cup played at Niagara Falls GC against a top field of elite amateurs from around the world.


With rounds of 65-72-65-65 David's 13-under total of 267 was 3 shots ahead of first team All-American Peter Uihlein and 15-year-old local area favorite Gavin Hall.  After an even-par front nine Chung had five birdies on the back nine firing a 30 to capture the event.


Teammates Andrew Yun and Sihwan Kim competed with Andrew finishing tied for 22nd with rounds of 72-70-69-67 while Sihwan finished tied for 48th after his rounds of 67-76-67-74.


“It’s the biggest tournament I’ve won. I’m really honored and privileged to win,” said Chung, a Fayetteville, N.C. native. “I have to say this is one of the amateur tournaments that has the biggest community following.”


The Official tournament website |  Complete scoring | Excellent Niagara Falls Gazette article

Niagara Falls Gazette Photo
Golf Week online talked with David after his win: Tied for the lead at 8-under going into the final round with Henley and Jake Katz, a senior at SUNY Binghampton, Chung got off to a rocky start with bogeys on the first two holes.






“Even with those two bogeys, I wasn’t too concerned,” Chung said. “I’d been playing well all week and still felt good about my game. I knew I could bring it back.”
He made two birdies coming in on the front to turn in even par 35 and then kicked things in gear on the back. He birdied No. 10 from eight feet and 11 from 15 feet. His four-footer found the hole on the par-3 13th and then he finished it off by sinking an eight footer on 17 and two footer at 18.
“Right now it feels pretty awesome,” Chung said. “To win against these great players is special. I think the key was my putting all week. I just had a lot of confidence over the ball.
“Also, I stayed patient and kept everything under control,” he said. “The biggest thing was playing mistake free golf coming down the stretch today. I was under pressure and feel I handled it well.”  Read the full Golf Week article.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments below.