Friday, January 29, 2010

Right down the middle with Sihwan Kim


gostanford.com conducted this recent interview with All-American junior Sihwan Kim. Sihwan is currently ranked 7th in the country individually among collegiate golfers.


STANFORD, Calif. - If his fall results were any indication, Sihwan Kim has returned to the form that earned him first team All-America honors as a freshman two years ago.

In four fall events, Kim enjoyed three top-10 finishes and placed second at the prestigious Isleworth Collegiate Invitational and the Gifford Intercollegiate to close the fall schedule. He compiled a stroke average of 71.3 in his 12 rounds during the fall and carded four rounds of 68.

Kim's hot play during the fall has vaulted him into the top-10 of the national rankings, as he begins the spring ranked seventh by GolfStat and ninth by GolfWeek.

"Sihwan has all of the tools," said head coach Conrad Ray. "He has really found a comfort level with his game and he's playing much more relaxed. Obviously, he had a great fall and we're hoping that momentum carries right over the spring."

GoStanford.com recently caught up with Sihwan for this installment of "Right Down the Middle," which profiles the members of the Stanford's 2009-10 men's golf team.

Home course?
I don't really have one so I just play everywhere when I am at home.

Favorite course you have played?
Cypress Point

Course you would most like to play?
Augusta National

Favorite golfer?
Kenny Perry because I love how he enjoys golf

One swing thought you are always trying to remember?
Trust in myself

Favorite major championship to watch?
U.S. Open

Earliest memories of playing golf?
My first swing coach dropped me because all I did was to sleep and play around in the driving range. And he told me that I had no potential to be a good player. So I tried really hard after that to prove him wrong.

What's your most memorable round?
When I beat David Chung(who is my teammate now) in the U.S. Junior Amateur in 2004 to be the second youngest to win the championship next to Tiger.

What's your most memorable shot?
When I had my first hole-in-one at Black Golf G.C.

Favorite ball mark?
I use Korean money, 500 won.

Favorite club in your bag?
Putter. I love it to death

One thing you are constantly working on to improve as a player?
I always try to enjoy golf regardless of how I am doing on the course.

Why did you decide to come to Stanford?
Stanford has one of the best golf programs in the country and I wanted to learn and play golf at the same time

Tell us about your major?
I am majoring in communications and it is about everything that involves words and gestures.

Favorite spot on campus?
Arriallaga Rec Center. I can workout, play basketball and squash.

What are some of your interests other than golf?
I love to play other sports like basketball, squash, tennis and soccer.

Do you have any superstitions?
I think I putt better when I use 500 won as my mark

Favorite movie?
Avatar by far. It changed my view of 3D movies.

What's on your IPOD?
Lil Wayne mixtape "No Ceilings"

Favorite meal?
Breakfast quesadilla at Frank's Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments below.